Do you like API Legal Outreach’s work and want to see if you can try it out yourself? Apply for a spot on APILO’s Youth Advisory Council!
Youth Advisory Council (YAC) is a group of Bay Area high school students that collaborate together to address social and political issues affecting Asian Pacific Islander (API) communities. YAC members work on relevant topics such as:
- domestic violence,
- queer/trans identities and rights,
- housing, and
- food justice.
Since its inception in 1997, YAC has placed specific emphasis on preventing gender-based and teen dating violence in our work. Through presentations, media arts projects, advocacy campaigns, civic engagement, and community organizing, YAC members make change on community, statewide, and local levels.
As a YAC member, you’ll be an official intern of API Legal Outreach and gain valuable training in:
- social justice leadership
- public speaking
- research and writing
- core values and teamwork
- critical thinking
- addressing issues facing API communities on community, statewide, and national levels
- professional experience interning at a community-based non-profit organization
The program requirements are as follows:
- You must be a teen aged 13-18, and able to commit at least one full year to the program (preferably, at least two).
- We meet every other Sunday from 9 AM to 12 PM, alternating between APILO San Francisco and Oakland offices. You MUST be able to attend meetings, as well as occasional special events, on both sides of the Bay.
- You must make 20 out of 30 meeting hours and attend one mandatory event per pay period to receive your stipend.
- You must be able to attend API-ACT, a two-week-long intern training during the summer. The dates of API-ACT this summer are Monday, July 30, 2018 to Friday, August 10, 2018 (excluding weekends) from 9 AM-5 PM. Dates subject to change.
- You do NOT have to be Asian or Pacific Islander to join! The Youth Advisory Council is for everyone. 🙂